The last few weeks I feel I’ve drifted a bit away from the physical aspects of EarthFit and have been focused on the mental/psychological aspects of our health and well-being. There’s nothing wrong with that, necessarily, it’s merely an observation. But it’s an interesting one. I have found myself seeking out excuses to be alone, take naps, skip workouts, binge snack, and basically revert to old habits of (non)self-care.
I’m feeling overwhelmed as of late. Not because I’m overworked- I have no job- but because I can’t figure out what I want to be doing. It’s time to focus on why I’m here. Why I’m on Whidbey Island, what my purpose is, what is “keeping me going”, where am I deriving energy? And I have some things figured out, but it includes letting go of some things I’m not sure I want to let go of. But they aren’t supporting “Why I’m Here”, at least not in the terms of what I need.
Here comes another list: What I need to focus on right now-
- My writing- My writing, my writing, my writing. Blog posts are good and all, but they aren’t why I’m here. I did not come to this island to write a blog. I came here to write my books. I have three books I want to focus on now, with admitted focus divided pretty evenly among two specifically. But how much do I actually work on them? Not a whole lot. Because I focus on my blog, and other non-related projects.
- Networking and working with other writers- this includes meeting with writers, attending critique groups, book events, classes, meetings, going out with writers, BEING with writers, whatever. I need more writers in my life.
- Zookeeper Fitness Presentation/Workshop- this needs to be a priority because it means a lot to me. It means a lot to me because it has potential to get around 75-100 people in my field and community behind my projects and support me when my books do come out.
- WRITING assignments- Ask me to research some fitness supplement and write about it? OMG! YES! Ask me to refine my blog posts to fit a more general audience? Abso-friggin-lutely! Ask me to create a presentation for a workshop? No problem, I’m on it. I’ll even volunteer to write up an article for a professional journal about a subject of your choice. But I need to focus on writing assignments, and not running errands.
My top three places I want and feel I SHOULD be focusing my energy on:
- Writers on Whidbey Island
This doesn’t mean I can’t have extra-curricular activities, or that I can’t do my outdoor bootcamps, or visit with friends. But I do need to work on my priorities. I need to remember why I’m here.
Thank you to the Sensitive Workshop and AfterWIWA/WOWI meeting for helping give me some direction, and reminding me to take care of myself, use my gifts so they are a blessing and not a curse, and to allow myself to be me.